Friday, August 28, 2009

Where there's smoke.....

Mark was planning to go to a swap meet today which usually means he leaves very early in the morning. Henry was supposed to go with him but asked if he could come to work with me instead. I agreed knowing the office was going to be quiet today and we're still on summer hours. About 45 minutes before we're due to leave for the day Henry decides to put a pretzel square into the microwave and nuked it until it started smoking. He calls me into the kitchen and says "I need help". When I got in there it was smoking and the smoke was rising to the ceiling. I had a feeling he would set off the smoke alarm. I started fanning all the smoke alarms but it didn't work. I immediately called the management of the building and told them to come shut it off. They shut it off but in the meantime the fire department came along with a police officer and the fire chief. What I didn't realize is when the smoke alarm goes off, it goes off in the entire building - 5 floors!!!!!!!! Everyone evacuated except for me and Henry. When the fire chief got to our floor he was not happy. I made Henry tell them what he did and apologize. The cops and the other guys were laughing but I was not. So so embarrassing. When we left for the day the fire engines were still there and the chief had the road blocked off to our building!!!! I found out several days later that 2 fire trucks showed up along with the fire chief and a police car. The fire fighters were all dressed in their fire fighting gear and had gas masks on and axes in their hands! Kill me now!

2 comments:

GESSYBELL said...

oh Tina! I am cracking up but I'm sure you were NOT! HA!HA!

Daily dose of Dana said...

THAT IS THE BEST STORY I HAVE HEARD IN A LONG TIME I AM CRACKING UP!!!!!! POOR Tina, but at least Henry came and got u and asked for help, I know some little kids who would have just acted like they had no clue who even put that pretzel in the microwave, and I know you and Henry will laugh about this forever and I hope you guys laughed about it already!!!!